Monday, March 18, 2013

My DIY Project: Custom Photo Mug

For the past couple of years, I've been getting my dad gift cards or store bought gifts. This year I wanted to do something more special and that he would keep close to his heart. I have a, what I call "vintage", photo of my dad and I when we first moved to Florida from Mississippi. Yes, I was born in Mississippi. I'm a legit Floridan though, no accent. I do love grits though. Anyways, I decided that I wanted to create a custom photo mug for my dad to use that would remind him of me every day. 

What You'll Need:
Ceramic or Porcelain Coffee Mug
Waterslide Decal Paper
A Picture 
Krylon Crystal Clear Spray

Quick note: I got the mug for my dad at Target, the Krylon at Walmart, and the decal paper on eBay. I went to Hobby Lobby, Staples, Michaels, and Walmart. No one carried this paper. For 5 sheets, it was $7.75, free shipping, on eBay. Perfect. 

How To Do It
1. Once you've chosen your picture, print it on the waterside decal paper. Try to center the picture on the paper. This will make it easier once you spray and trim the decal. 
2. Let the picture dry for at least 30 minutes.
3. Once the picture is dry, lightly coat the picture with the Krylon Crystal Clear spray. This will seal the ink onto the decal paper. (I had B do this for me. I have a heavy hand, which doesn't like spraying paint. He's a painter, he's got skills.)
4. I let the picture dry for 1 hour before I trimmed it. You can wait longer, but you have to finish the decal before 2 hours after spraying it. 
5. Trim down the decal to the size of the picture. Have your mug cleaned and dry, ready to go. 
6. I used my bathroom sink, but you could use a large bowl or another sink to do this step. Fill up your sink with enough water to submerge the decal completely. 
7. Hold the decal under water for at least 60 seconds. Began to lightly peel the decal off of the backing paper. Once the decal is off of the paper, apply to mug. 
8. Using a paper towel, lightly dab any excess water off of the decal and smooth out any creases or air bubbles. Let dry for at least 1 hour. 
9. This step is optional. I chose to write two quotes about fathers on both sides of the picture. I used a permanent marker. You can write a personal message or anything you want. 
10. Spray the mug with the Krylon Crystal Clear spray again to seal the decal and the writing. I, again, had B do this for me. 

splurge, save, fashion, style, skinny jeans, pumps, fashion tips, save money, money saving tips, style tips, makeup, beauty, beauty tips, beauty review, makeup tips, makeup review, nail polish, sephora, essie, sinful colors, ulta, orly, butter london, how to wear, how to, how to style, how to fashion

My dad loved this. He decided that he doesn't want to use it, but has it on display in his kitchen. 

This project was very easy to do, just time consuming. 

Have you made a custom mug before?

Let me know any DIY photo projects you've done! 

2 comments:

  1. Customize mugs provide attractive and instant promotional ideas for reliable marketing.It is always on the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The DIY monogram mugs adds a beautiful and creative style to your ceramic mugs.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS