Thursday, January 17, 2013

Get Fit Recipes: Pineapple Chicken with Quinoa

You have to understand, I'm not the biggest fan of chicken. I LOVE steak. I was raised on it. And although on my IgG chart, I can have beef, I was instructed to limit my red meat consumption. So to do what's best for my body and health, I'm sticking with chicken and turkey. Also, even though quinoa wasn't on the food list, Dr. Leo said I was cleared to eat it!

Ingredients:
1 package of boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 C of freshly diced pineapple
1/2 C of Sugar Free Orange Marmalade
1/2 C of dry quinoa, to be prepared
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of pepper

Quick notes: I used organic chicken breast. I had to dice my pineapple fresh because the prepackaged pineapple was prepared in factories with food that I cannot eat. I'm not 100% sure if I can have the marmalade. I read all the ingredients and there's nothing that I can't have specifically. All the ingredients were purchased at Publix.

1. In a gallon zip lock bag, mix the diced pineapple with the orange marmalade.
2. Trim any fat off the chicken breast and cut into 1" chunks.
3. Add the chicken to the pineapple/marmalade mixture and let sit for at least 1 hour.
4. In a large skillet, set to medium-high heat, add the bag of chicken, pineapple, and marmalade. Add salt and pepper.
5. Cook for about 15 - 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
6. While the chicken is cooking, in a small saucepan, bring 1 C of water to boil, add the quinoa.
7. Allow the quinoa to cook for 10-15 minutes until all the water is absorb and the quinoa has become transparent.
8. In a bowl, smooth out 1/2 of the cooked quinoa. With a large spoon, add 1/3 of the chicken mixture to the quinoa.
9. Enjoy!

To me, it kinda looks like a curry in some way, but not spicy!
(I got my bowls from Home Goods when I went to FSU!)

B had teriyaki rice with his chicken, he loved it! I saved the other half of the quinoa and the remaining chicken mixture for the next day's lunch!

If you have any recipes that you think would work for me or you would just like to share, email me or leave a comment!!

Side note: I am not endorsed, sponsored, or paid by Publix. I just like to shop there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS