Monday, January 14, 2013

Get Fit Recipes: Basic Fruit Salad

Okay guys, short (jokes, long!) back story! My whole life I've been overweight. I played soccer, did karate, was a cheerleader and danced for 11 years. I was still overweight. I had a pretty normal diet for a kid, all the way through my teens and even now. I tried so many diets and lost so much money on things that just didn't work for me. I would lose weight, but it would come right back. After many mental breakdowns, I decided to go see a doctor, Dr. Leo. 

After being poked with more needles than I can handle, Dr. Leo discovered that I have Hashimoto's, also know as thyroiditis. (See, I had my last two wisdom teeth taken out the same week I had my blood drawn twice.) So what's happening is that my thyroid is actually making the correct amount of hormones, but my immune system is attacking the hormones, so my body isn't using them. Also, my body has no good bacteria, it's not keeping in vitamin D, and it seems to think fat is good. I'm a hot mess. 

Dr. Leo also did an IgG Food Antibody test. I have "delayed allergies" to almost everything. I posted a picture on Instagram showing the results and the breakdown of what I can and cannot eat. Basically, I can only eat fruit and poultry. I have delayed allergies to all dairy, fish/shellfish, nuts/grains (except sunflower seeds), eggs, and most vegetables. So here I am, attempting to create recipes that I enjoy and follow the guidelines of my new diet. I also have to include shakes (not sure of the name) and supplements into my diet. But on a happier note, I'm very excited to get my health in order and final feel good about myself!  

So here is the first recipe in my journey towards a healthier life! My basic fruit salad! 

Ingredients: 
1 package of Blueberries
1 package of Raspberries
1 package of Strawberries (sliced)
1 tsp of 100% Agave Nectar (Light)
Zest of 1 Lemon
Juice of 1/2 Lemon

1. Rinse all the fruit and pat dry. 
2. Slice the strawberries however you like them. I like small chunks!
3. Add the Agave Nectar and mix the fruit together. 
4. Zest the lemon over the fruit. 
5. Juice half the lemon and pour over the fruit. Mix the fruit... again. 
6. Enjoy! 

fruit salad recipe, fruit salad, fruit, salad, recipe, healthy, health, food, cooking
(Sorry the picture is a little blurry, but this my fruit salad!)

You don't have to add the Agave Nectar, or the lemon zest or juice. It's all to personal taste. I like the Agave Nectar because of the light sweetness it adds. The lemon zest adds a freshness that make the salad happy! (lol!) And of course the lemon juice helps the fruit last longer! 

If you have any recipes that you think would work for me or you would just like to share, email me or leave a comment!! 

Also, if any of you are in a similar situation, let me know! I would love to know how you cope with the emotional side of all of this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS